Thanks to you

DSCN0010Dear Readers,

It is such a gift for me to be able to write for you on County Road 21. Having a venue to do what I think I am here to do means a lot to me. So first and foremost, thanks for reading. Thanks for the encouraging notes and for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me, both on the blog and by e-mail. To anyone who has ever seen something they liked and shared the link with others, or recommended the blog to a friend, thank you. Thanks to your recommendations, readership continues to grow steadily and has more than tripled from where it was six months ago.

Since beginning, I have tried to post five days a week, more or less. Heading into summer, I am experimenting with a change, and a move to posting three times a week. This is influenced by a couple of things. First, it is surprisingly  hard to maintain sustained writing time when kids are out of school. The ability to think is reduced even further.  I am also finding it hard some weeks to maintain the schedule I initially set for myself, just in terms of creative energy. I chose five days a week because I not so secretly still wish the world was all newspapers and magazines. Five days a week let me pretend I had my own column and was writing for a newspaper. When I didn’t feel like writing, I would picture my editor on the phone with a cigar dangling out of his mouth telling me it didn’t matter that I had nothing to say, the column was going to print in an hour.

I haven’t fired my imaginary editor (although Frank definitely lets me down on the proof reading some days) but I’ve decided (not without some anxiety) to take a chance on letting him fire me. I may increase the posting schedule again in the fall, or I may not. For now, I’m cutting it back to three, occasionally two posts a week, to give a little breathing space to my imagination and to make room for other things.

The last reason for the change is that every once in a while I think a piece deserves more than a day to sit there. It bothered me today to rush in and cover up yesterday’s Pentecost piece so quickly, but I hadn’t shared my thoughts yet, so didn’t feel I could. (Frank said it was unconscionable to break an established pattern without explanation.)

Thank you again for your support and readership. Please know that I pray for all of you. En masse, because I don’t know everyone, and by name when I know of a specific reason to, or just because you come to mind. I remain grateful for the gift you give me when you take your valuable time to read and when you return by choice to my simple attempts at true and beautiful.

With much gratitude,

Michelle

12 Comments to Thanks to you

1. Dee says:

I am grateful to be able to go back to the Pentecost piece to reread when I need that message again and will reread other messages,too, whenever I miss your daily voice. Have a wonderful summer!

2. Samuel Jones says:

On days that you don’t post I will have to find a new first thing I do when I get to the office….hmmmm I will figure something out. =)

3. Rachel Bushnell says:

Letter to the Editor:

Dear Frank,
    I have been amiss not to have written you sooner about the very valuable column “True and Beautiful” by Michelle Dawn Jones. My friends and I find it most enjoyable. Somedays we laugh out loud at the antics and sayings of the four. Other times our hearts are wrung by the memories . . . Visions of the farm help to fill in the gaps in our city life . . . the zeal for more and deeper call us to move on. Having heard that Michelle wishes to write fewer days this summer, we are anxious to let you know that even tho’ her contract is for 5 days a week, 2 or 3 days per week is still very important to us. I speak for quite a number of in your community of readers. Please consider us in your decision.

Sincerely yours.

p.s. My neighbour is travelling to Cuba in August. Please let me know the cigar you prefer and I will replenish your humidor.

4. Michelle,
    We all have to do what fits in our own writing schedule and our vocation as wife and mother as well. I loved the discipline that you displayed by blogging five days a week. You helped me to keep writing even on days when I don’t feel like it. Besides think of it this way, you work for a newspaper that wants you to do a column two or three times or even once a week–that works too. I have enjoyed your blog very much and you have a beautiful gift of touching other’s lives through you writing. Embrace you new writing schedule and enjoy the summer adventure that awaits you.

5. claudia says:

I will miss you, but I do understand. Have a wonderful Summer! :)

6. Carol says:

The daily read is a treasure in my day. In fact sometimes after reading
    I would just like to hug you.

7. Jane Parker says:

Your blog is an important part of my life, bringing me joy and touching my heart and reminding me to focus on the important things — the beauty of God’s creation, the wonder of children’s perspectives and thoughts, reactivating my gratitude button. I’m grateful that you’re willing to continue during the summer at all. I’m thinking quality is more important than quantity. Have a blessed summer.